Sex dating in lifton devon
The manor of Wortham, in the parish of Lifton, was long a seat of the Dynham family, a junior branch descended from the Anglo-Norman magnate Baron Dynham.
The early 16th century manor house survives, today the property of the Landmark Trust.
Gatherleigh in the parish of Lifton was the seat of the Hunkin family, of whom prominent members were Joseph Hunkin (1610-1661) Governor of Scilly between 16; Joseph Hunkin (1887-1950), born in Truro, Cornwall, the 8th Bishop of Truro from 1935 to 1950.
His monument in Truro Cathedral displays the arms of Hunkin of Gatherleigh, namely: Argent, a mascle sable over all a fess of the last.
Stone rubble with some brick dressings, wrongly described as a "brick building" by Pevsner. One C16 doorway survives at the rear and a lean-to adjoining the south end with a C16 doorway and two mullioned windows may be the remains of a south cross wing.
Nothing of the earlier house appears to survive above ground floor level.
It was first recorded as Liwtune in the will of King Alfred in the late 9th century when it was left to his youngest son Aethelweard (c.880-922).
The village was one of the first in the west of Devon to be founded by the Saxons, and was of strategic importance because of its location on a major route close to the border with Cornwall.Frederick Stockdale said of the house "very delightfully situated and commands an interesting prospect of the town of Launceston with its ancient castle, indeed no expense seems to have been spared to render the surrounding plantations containing about 8,000 acres." and shortly after the war the house was severely damaged by fire.The west wing has since been restored, but most of the former house still stands in ruins. The two entrances to the park still have lodges dating from the Victorian era.The main block of the C18 range has rear outshuts to either side of a two-storey projection with a roof hipped to the rear, this may have been the early C18 stair projection although it is now ceiled over at first floor level. Three window symmetrical east front with a central two-leaf panelled door under a flat porch canopy carried on granite columns, porch probably C20.Two ground floor thirty-six pane sashes with crown glass may be early C19 replacements.